Today's blog post is a list of the notable creatures I saw on my walk yesterday. Tuesdays shall hereforth be committed from my blogging for reason that I work late.
The following list reveals perhaps more about me than it does my environment. It is by no means systematic, far from comprehensive and the only guiding principle is that these creatures caught my eye. So unscientific; but nonetheless a window into my soul, and hopefully I can share the appreciation I felt at meeting the fourlegged or winged friends I saw yesterday with you, my reader.
An unscientific but nonetheless revelatory list of creatures I saw yesterday:
A strange looking bee I don't think was a honeybee. How my heart skipped a beat when I saw it! Native bee pollinators are an endless source of fascination to me. Alas, they fly quickly. I didn't get a good look, but its pattern stood out to me; it had two dark black blotches in the meeting place of the first and second thorax. Its wings were dark.
I saw the frog again, in that impossibly small pond I more think of as a puddle in my parents backyard. However in that very puddle I have seen what I believe is both frogs and bull frogs. Further observations will have to follow for me to truly identify these creatures.
I saw multiple wildflowers, including what was either a lemon balm or a wild bergamot. Either way I ate a leaf; it was more like broccoli than mint so perhaps that means bergamot?
The real highlight yesterday though was I finally solved a mystery about one of my river friends.
I have a cedar tree where I sit every time I take this walk in order to look at the river. Lately I've been watching with interest as a small furry friend swims its way up and down the water. I've been trying hard to figure out if it's a muskrat or a beaver and yesterday the mystery was finally solved! I saw its long thin tail as it dived at my sudden movement, confirming it is indeed a muskrat.
Curiously a week ago I saw it swimming with a much larger and square headed mammal. Was that one a beaver? A male? There are mysteries yet to be solved on the river.
No comments:
Post a Comment